Frequently Asked Questions

If you do not see your questions listed here feel free to call the Police Department at 252-223-5410 or use the contact us page.

Q.      How do I obtain a copy of an accident report?


A.      You should have been given an exchange slip from the investigating officer which lists the other vehicle and driver involved. In most cases, this can be given to your insurance company to get the claims process started and should be all you need.


An uncertified copy of the crash report can be obtained by clicking here.  Crash reports are typically available in 3-5 business days.  If the report is still not available after this time, please contact us for assistance locating the report.  


Certified crash reports can only be obtained from DMV.  To request a certified crash report, compelete the request section on the exchange slip and mail it to the DMV at the address listed on the form.  Further information on how to obtain a certified copy can be found on the

DMV website.



Q.      I need a copy of my incident investigations report for insurance purposes. When can I get that?


A.      If you need a copy of an investigative report for insurance purposes you can request a copy of a "Property Loss Verification Report". This is available usually within 3-5 business days from the time your report was taken. It will indicate what you reported and the basic information about the case. We do not release narratives and complete investigation reports on active cases or those pending trial.


Q.      I need to be fingerprinted for a job application. Where can I do that?


A.       We do not perform applicant fingerprinting services. For assistance with this service, contact the Carteret County Sheriff's Office located on Craven St in Beaufort NC, the Morehead City Police Department, or the Havelock Police Dept, where they have an automated fingerprint system. You should call ahead to these agencies as most generally only perform these services on specific days and times, and there may be a small fee for the service.


Q.      How do I find out what is being done with my case?


A.      You should first contact the Officer that took your initial case using our contact us page via email or voice mail. Our Officers work rotating shifts, so please allow time for a response. If you wish to speak directly to a Detective, you contact Detective Ferrell on our contact us page.


Q.      How do I get a copy of my driving/criminal record?


A.      You can contact the Caretert County Clerk of Court or visit the North Carolina Administrative Office of the Courts website to obtain further information, or you may utilize some of the internet record checks commercially available. We cannot provide you a copy of either. Additionally, you have the right to review information on your criminal record, which is maintained by the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation and the FBI.  Please contact the SBI for further details on how to obtain a copy of your criminal record check.


Q.      I received a citation. Where can I go to pay it?


A.      You can go to the Carteret County Magistrates Office located on Craven St in Beaufort,NC. You can also pay on-line at   


Q.      I received a citation. Can I reschedule the court date?


A.      You will need to contact the Carteret County District Attorney's Office at 252-504-4500 to request the change.


Q.      Does my child need to be in a safety seat?


A.      This depends on the child's age and/or weight.  More specific guidance based on these factors can be found at


Q.     Are golf carts legal on public streets?


A.     Yes. A golf cart as defined by N.C.G.S. 20-4.01(12b) may be permitted to operate on public streets within the town limits with a posted speed limit of 35 mph or less. However before the golf cart can be operated on public streets it must first be inspected and registered with the police department. To view the golf cart ordinance and requirements for registration click here. For a copy of the registration form click here.


Q.     How do I get my golf cart inspected and registered?


A.     Golf cart inspections are done on Mondays & Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and on Wednesdays from 8:30a.m. to 4 p.m. Calling ahead to schedule during these posted times is not necessary, but is encouraged to help us serve you better. Please bring a copy of your completed registration form and insurance policy with you at the time of inspection to complete your registration. There is currently no fee to register golf carts, however this is subject to change in late 2023 or early 2024.

Q.      Who handles Animal Control Issues?


A.      The Town of Newport does not have an Animal Control Officer. We rely on Carteret County Animal Control to assist us with these issues. If you have an immediate concern contact the Police Department or CC Animal Control at 252-728-8585. If you have a concern about a Rabid animal contact the Police Dept or CC Animal Control. If you have issues with snakes, foxes, racoons, or other wildlife you can contact the Carteret County Health Dept at 252-728-8550 and they can provide a list of Wildlife Damage Control Agents here in the County.


Q.      Does the Town of Newport have a leash law?


A.      Yes, any animal is deemed At-Large when it is off the property of it's custodian and not under restraint as defined here.

Restraint : An animal is under restraint within the meaning of this article if :

          It is controlled by means of a chain, leash, or like device;

It is on or within a vehicle being driven or parked, or it is within a secure enclosure.


Q.      I am going to be out of town, will the police department check on my residence?


A.      Yes, The Newport Police Department has a Residential Check Program. Simply complete the form and mail, fax, email, or bring it to the PD.


Q.      I am traveling out of town or returning to Newport, how do I find out about road conditions?


A.      You can find out about current road conditions by clicking here for the NC DOT 511 webpage.


Q.      Does my event require a Special Event permit?


A.      You should view the Special Event Policy and application on our forms page. Pay special attention to the timeline requirements for your class of event.


Q.      How do I get a restraining order or domestic violence protection order?


A.      The Newport Police Department cannot issue such orders. These are considered court orders and a Judge must issue them. If you need of one of these orders, you will need to contact the Carteret County Clerk of Court's Office in Beaufort NC, at 252-504-4400 or click here for more info.


Q.      I have an alarm system what do I need to do now?

A.      All commercial and residential burglar/security alarms are required to be registered with the Town. Please review the Alarm Ordinance and Registration info on our forms page. Alarms NOT registered are subject to increased fines!


Fire alarms are not required to be registered.  Please contact the Fire Department at 252-223-4510 for information and guidance regarding such alarm systems.


Q.      How do I compliment an officer on their performance?


A.      You can use our forms page or call the police department at 252-223-5410.


Q.      How do I file a complaint on an officer?


A.      All complaints are taken seriously and should be filed in person at the police department.  We do not accept complaints via email or phone call.  Citizens may of course call or otherwise contact the police department at any time with comments or concerns, however formal complaints should be filed in person with the Police Captain.

Print | Sitemap
© Newport Police Department

This website was created using IONOS MyWebsite.